Inventor Error: Read Only State following a Save Copy As operation
Posted on August 1, 2014 by Mark Lancaster, Product Support Specialist:
I had a case come across my desk the other day where the user was unable to save his original Inventor drawing after he performed a “Save Copy As” on it. When he picks the “Save” button (on the save dialog box) he received the message above.
When he repeated his steps he noticed this time, the save dialog actually stated Save Copy As. Now he was asking himself why Inventor was trying to perform a “Save Copy As” when he did a normal save.
Upon review of his workflow we determined the issue was a bug and reported it to Autodesk for resolution. Currently Autodesk is reviewing this and at some point will issue a fix for it.
- Create and save an Inventor drawing using the Standard.DWG or an Inventor .DWG template. Drawings created using the .IDW file format are not included in this issue.
- At some point you exit Inventor.
- Open the drawing, make changes, and save.
- Perform a Save Copy As. As a reminder when you perform a Save Copy As, your original file still remains active in Inventor.
- Now your drawing is in a read-only state. Any changes to it will issue a message indicating it is in read-only state and do you wish to continue with the edit.
- However, if you exit Inventor and reopen the drawing the read-only issue is removed.
This issue has been reported for Inventor 2013, 20nd 2015.
Until next time …
Mark Lancaster is the newest member to our Synergis technical team, having just joined us a year ago. His most previous experience is as the CAD Design Manager of Pall Corporation, one of our long time customers. In that position, he was responsible for workstation optimization and design management, established uniform standards for the local and global offices, and developed global systems to control and manage their design data.
Have a question for Mark or any of our technical staff? Contact us and we will get back to you quickly.