Januray 29, 2013, post by Nikki Szymanski, Civil Solutions Engineer:
As I go onsite to different clients, I come accross some tricks that not everyone uses, but could save you a lot of time. Here’s five that I often give to the firms I visit:
1. Extract Contours from a Surface: Use extract objects for surface.
Surface>Utilities> Extract objects for surface.
2. Remove break lines or points from a surface:
Surface properties>Definition tab> under operation type, remove from definition.
3. Leave your re-build automatic turned off. Then when you edit your surface you may re-build yourself so you may see the updates.
4. Always check your data: You will be able to see your elevations by checking the minimum elevation and the maximum elevation to make sure you don’t have a bust in your surface.
Surface properties>Statistics tab.
5. Simplify your surface: Eliminate some points to make your surface file more manageable.
Surface>Edit surface> Simplify surface. You can remove points, select a region and select the percentage of points to remove.
I hope these simple tricks help you be more productive. If you have any questions on features to improve your workflow, contact us and let us know.
Nikki Szymanski joined Synergis in 2012 as a Civil Solutions Engineer. Her expertise spans civil, electrical, mechanical, and structural drafting with over 20 years of industry experience and extensive education on the Autodesk soltuions. Most recent to joining Synergis, Nikki spent seven years focused on land develpment and water and wastewater management.