January 17, 2013, posted by Darin Green, Synergis Helpdesk:
We often receive calls from clients who get an error message pointing “Failed installation aborted, Result 1603″. To help, I thought I would put this popular topic online to help with your service. If this doesn’t solve your problems, feel free to contact us for any help.
When Autodesk released the AutoCAD 2013 based products noted above, many of our customers ran into installation rollbacks. From a suites standpoint, once AutoCAD is installed it will not allow you to install MEP or the other AutoCAD based applications that are now a part of one AutoCAD installation. What that mean is that Autodesk utilities one installation of AutoCAD and other AutoCAD based products are add-ins to that one installation of AutoCAD without it being installed for each flavor such as MEP or Architecture.
During the installation of an AutoCAD based application, the installation process starts rolling back. Within the log files, you notice an error message similar to the following:
Install AutoCAD® MEP 2013 Failed Installation aborted, Result=1603
Note: If you have a thumb drive, you will need to copy the contents from the thumb drive onto the Computer.
You will need the following application to resolve this issue:
ORCA (program allows you to modify an MSI file)
- Navigate to the location of the installation files
- Go into the x6 or x86 folder (Depending on the type of installation you’re installing)
- Find the application folder for the program you’re trying to install. Here’s a list of them:
- Find the MSI file (should have the same name as the folder listed above)
- Right-Click the MSI file and choose “Edit with Orca”
- Once Orca is opened, navigate to the “CustomAction” table
- Notice on the right side panel under Action, there are PreJit debug action items. Select each one and right-click and choose “Drop Row”
- Go to File > Save. Than close the application.
- Perform steps 5 through 8 for each application (ACA, MEP, ASD, and Acadm).
Finally, run the installer again and the installation should go through smoothly.
Contact Synergis Helpdesk if you have any problems.
Darin Green is one of our Helpdesk Leads and provides tips and information in our monthly Helpdesk Newsletter. Darin has over 10 years of CAD experience and in his time at Synergis he has provided support for over 700 customers to help them stay ahead. He previously worked with Ritter and Plante Associates where he performed various zoning, project duties, and hands-on field workalong with surveying. Darin has a broad range of experience with many CAD applications including AutoCAD, Revit, AutoCAD Civil 3D, Map 3D, among others. See more on Darin on LinkedIn.